Episode 1: Ask Better Questions of the Church
In this episode Jimmy and Patty sit down to talk about the importance of asking better questions. This is a four part series on how to ask better questions of the church, the bible, God, and as leaders.
In today’s episode we will be focusing on how to ask better questions of your church.
How to Ask Better Questions of the Church
- Step 1: Remember the church is made up of people— if you have problems with ‘the church’ you really have problems with SPECIFIC people, or usually a specific person.
- Step 2: Be specific with who you have questions (or issues) with, and remember it is impossible to have issues with a church. ‘The Church’ as an abstract institution does not really exist.
- Step 3: Stay curious and seek to understand.
- Step 4 Understand that people in Church do not know everything, and are often wrong — accept that this is okay!
- Do not be afraid to engage the people in multiple situations and over long stretches of time. Do not give into the myth of the ‘coming to Jesus’ talk where everything will be resolved in an instant.
Every journey starts with a single step. Our goal is for us to personally share our takeaways and put things into action. Do you want to be held accountable? Or hold us accountable?
Choose one or two of the challenges below.
Welcome to the Life to the Full Community!
Episode One C.O.W. (Ask Better Questions of the Church)
- Make a list of specific people you have issues and questions for. Stop making it about the church! (Step 1)
- Be specific with your question or issue, and write that down. (Step 2)
- I was hurt by …
- I did not understand why you did…
- I do not agree with…
- When you said this … it made me feel …
- Make an appointment to talk with them today over coffee or a phone call. (Step 3 and 5)
- Pray for a spirit of humility, and remember that you or they could be wrong and that is okay! (Step 3 and 4)
- Resolve to work things out over time, and accept that there are no one conversation fix all scenarios. (Step 5)
Scriptures mentioned in today's episode:
Matthew 18:15-17, Matthew 18:21, Luke 17:3-4
Book nerds! Below are this episode's book recommendations. If you are interested in purchasing any of these books, then please use these links below.
They help support the show with no additional cost to you. Thanks in advance!
Somethings that were mentioned in today’s episode.
Five Regrets of the Dying (According to Bronnie Ware’s Book)
- I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
- I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
- I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
- I wish I’d stayed in touch with my friends.
- I wish I had let myself be happier.